From eBay listing:
|Seller Notes:||“The car is in excellent condition; no major mechanical, electrical, or structural problems. Remaining issues are aesthetic: fuel gauge needs trouble shooting, tachometer needs grounding circuit modified for negative-ground circuit, speedometer needs recalibration (reads too fast), and a cracked bakelite steering column shroud/cover. See video and pics linked in description!”|
|VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):||B395002406LRX||Year:||1966|
|Number of Cylinders:||4||Make:||Other Makes|
|Body Type:||Convertible||Trim:||Series V|
|Warranty:||Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty||Engine:||1.7L 4-Cylinder|
|Vehicle Title:||Clear||Drive Type:||RWD|
|Fuel Type:||Gasoline||Exterior Color:||Red|
|For Sale By:||Private Seller||Interior Color:||Black|
Overview video: https://youtu.be/HBFJLQC_mo4
Full Pictures Set: http://imgur.com/a/I do not have the car's history from new, I bought it in 2014 from a dealership and the previous owner claimed to have owned it 25 years, documentation shows his ownership back to the late 1990's. I have pictures of the bodywork being done, but no pics of the engine or transmission fixes, just receipts. I have receipts from myself and the major maintenance episodes of the previous owner. It was a California car during that time, all the receipts coming from the Bay Area.
Major Maintenance with documentation:
1996 - Clutch replaced
1997 - Engine top-end tore down; tune-up
2000 - Engine rebuild
2002 - Top-end torn down again
2004 - Ignition re-done
2009 - Major work done on interior and exterior (repaint), gauges, etc. New chrome also.
2010 - More interior and gauge work; carpets etc.
- For most of the time listed above, it looks to have had ~76,100 miles and it was rarely driven. I've driven it quite a bit since 2014.
2014 - I purchased the car at 77,640 miles and I've put 1,850 miles on it in 18 months - I really like driving It when weather permits.
2015 - Alternator was not properly secured at time of purchase and I just didn't catch it... It broke its mount and at the time I was disgusted with the electrics, so I took it to my shop and had a lot of it redone. All the major ignition and alternator wiring.. I also had an original tach installed (wired, but not changed over to negative earth) and had some other wiring wrapped, routed, made safe, etc.
2015 - All new rubber, including the full-size spare.
2016 (March) - New coil, electronic ignition along with the regular tune-up and oil change in prep for sale
The car is a little cold-blooded and can take about 5-10 seconds to start with choke, but when started regularly or after it's warm it starts up quickly and runs great.
Basically, I’ve just been moving around a lot and I lack a permanent place to store it and drive it regularly. It's not a forced sale and the car is in great shape. The top is in excellent condition, but I'll be honest it is a pain to close and it’s not truly weather-tight. I do not advocate driving the car in the rain and it looks stupid with the top up anyway! The white stripe on the bottom is vinyl and removable.
- Rust free; structure is excellent
- Original carburetor replaced by Weber
- Full restoration ~2005; new paint, engine rebuild, etc. Also new interior
- New tires Fall 2015
- Main electrics (alternator, lights, dash) inspected, routed, repaired in 2015
- Good documentation; includes manuals (and parts are pretty cheap!)
Things I’ve done since I got the car:
- Obtained an original Jaeger tachometer correct for the car
- Replaced all four tires in August 2015
- After experiencing some alternator troubles, I put $2k into electrical including all alternator/charge circuit wiring, had all the electrical vitals diagnosed, correctly wired and routed, and wrapped for safety. The alternator and bracket is also new. The gauge cluster is still British wiring, but everything truly important has been wired by professionals at a dealer specializing in high-end vintage cars (www.driversource.com) see invoice in attached docs.
- Replaced brake master cylinder and main brake line Winter 2015
- Full tune-up; new points, condenser, cables, oil change in March 2016
Things that still need work:
- The tachometer is wired and correct for the car, but it is internally wired for a positive earth (original British) wiring. These guys (http://www.paspeedo.com/) can fix that and calibrate it for $200-$300.
- The speedo reads higher than it should, and it is not related to the tire size, which are standard size for the car. Because of this mileage is accumulated faster than is accurate. The speedo needs recalibration.
- The fuel gauge system needs to be troubleshot. The electrics are sound, so I suspect the issue is buried. Fuel delivery is fine, the car runs excellently, you just need to keep track of fuel. Be sure to fill with premium!
- The bake-lite steering column shroud is cracked. This is not unheard of in the Alpine, and this part is hard to find. The most probable solution is to get a piece of tubular ABS and have it turned on a lathe. Might be a cheap fix.
Parts included with purchase:
- Water pump
- Radiator hoses
- Car cover
- Owner manual, workshop manual
Sold As-is. Thanks for looking.