I'd like to know what cars people would recommend
- budget: $5,000 to $6,000
- size: sport sedan or coupe that can seat 4 people
- needs: looking for something that is fun to drive, can corner well, 4 or 6 cyl, manual transmission, can be modified for a bit more fun (could be suspension mods, some simpler engine or exhaust performance mods while maintaining drivability)
- live in Alberta Canada; winter and mountain driving. would have two sets of tires: summers & winters
- be good if I could do simple repairs
- have been looking at 1988 to 1997 vehicles because of price and these typically don't rust as much as pre-1988.
Let me know what the Daily Turismo experts and readers suggest!
DT E-i-C Vince: This is an easy one...well, not easy, but one of my favorite suggestions to give -- just get an E36 M3. The E36 M3 offers 240 horsepower from a tuneable inline-6 mounted to a 5-speed manual gearbox (avoid the slushbox and awful purple colored version) and one of the best chassis you can find around...especially for the price. Here is one on eBay bidding on eBay for $7,100 reserve-not-met with a few days to go, but you can find examples that aren't quite as clean for the requested budget.
What do you suggest for George?