In 1977, the Secretary of the Transportation in the Carter Administration created a mandate that by 1983 all cars would have either air bags or automatically deployed seat belts. Of course politics got in the way and it wasn't until 1987-1990 that passive safety restraints were required in vehicles. The funky automatic seat belts were cheaper than the exploding face shredders, so many OEMs (such as Toyota in the above 1990 Cressida) added them.
Find the automatic belts.
Standard contest rules are as follows:
1. Only one OEM per comment (be sure to hit the refresh button on your browser before you post in case someone else has posted since you loaded the page). Do not nest the replies, just reply to the main post -- if you reply to someone elses comment it should be in reference to his comment and not another submission.
3. The contest will end in on Sunday, July 26th, 2015.
4. One submission per make/model.
5. Each car must be for a company that created running/driving cars (no clay model prototypes) and at least two must have been built (no one-offs).
6. No anonymous submissions -- pick a name with the Name/URL dropdown.
Ready....Set...click, whirrrrr, clack!!