The wagonback is a rear end treatment (yikes, sounds personal!) that is squared off, long flat angle of the rear glass. It is unmistakable - odd-looking and noticeable - not curved or smoothed. You can see it in such cars as the:
- Saab 99/900 Wagonback
- Audi ur Quattro
- 78-80 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon Aeroback
Are you just asking for a liftback? Sure, because what accounts for that shape? Cargo friendliness, but then whack some off on account of some notion of speedy-looking-ness, and it's obviously a search for a middle ground. Some cars that it isn't:
-- Porsche 928 (too curved)
-- Porsche 911 (too much emphasis on sportiness)
-- Mazda RX-7 (still too sporty)
-- 1st Generation Mustang Fastback (too much emphasis on style over function).
-- Toyota Supra (too round and too sporty)
-- Golf (too upright)
-- 07-11 Subaru Impreza (too rounded, no attempt at fastback styling)
Contest rules are as follows:
1. Only one car per comment (be sure to hit the refresh button on your browser before you post in case someone else has posted since you loaded the page). Do not nest the replies, just reply to the main post -- if you reply to someone elses comment it should be in reference to his comment and not a new submission.
2. You can post again, but only after someone else posts another car.
3. The contest will end at Sunday, March 29nd, 4pm PST.
4. One submission per generation of car.
5. Each car must be a running/driving car (no clay model prototypes) and at least two must have been built of that particular car (no one-offs).
6. No anonymous submissions -- pick a name with the Name/URL dropdown.
7. Kaibeezy is the ultimate arbiter on what is or isn't a wagonback.